Cloud Native Application Protection Platforms (CNAPP) are revolutionizing how we secure applications and their infrastructures in the era of cloud computing. To understand the significance of these platforms, it is essential to understand CNAPP itself and the top CNAPP Vendors.
This blog will guide you through the top CNAPP Vendors and Tools in 2023, giving you a comprehensive understanding of their offerings to help you make an informed decision for your business.
Table of Contents:
- What is CNAPP?
- What are CNAPP Vendors?
- Best CNAPP Vendors (Tools) in 2023
- How to Choose the Best CNAPP Vendor?
What is CNAPP?
CNAPP, or Cloud Native Application Protection Platform, is a suite of security solutions designed to protect applications built using cloud-native technologies. These platforms secure the application code, run-time environment, and underlying infrastructure. The rise of microservices architecture, containerization, and continuous integration and deployment practices have necessitated robust security solutions like CNAPP.
What are CNAPP Vendors?
CNAPP Vendors refer to various software solutions that enforce security practices within a cloud-native environment. These can include container security tools, Cloud Security Posture Management (CSPM) tools, and Cloud Workload Protection Platforms (CWPP). Together, they help secure the entire lifecycle of cloud-native applications from development to deployment and maintenance.
Best CNAPP Vendors (Tools) in 2023
Choosing from the extensive list of CNAPP vendors can be the difference between a secure application environment and a potential data breach. Here, we introduce the Top 10 CNAPP Vendors of 2023.
PingSafe is the market leader when it comes to CNAPP vendors in providing autonomous security that is driven by advanced technologies. It is designed to offer comprehensive services, from real-time threat detection and risk assessment to automated remediation. Here is a more detailed breakdown of its standout features and its pros and cons.
- Cloud Misconfigurations: PingSafe provides robust cloud misconfiguration detection, leveraging data gathered from 10+ intelligence sources. It identifies resources or assets with known vulnerabilities (CVEs) and offers zero-day vulnerability assessments. Moreover, the Threat Watch dashboard keeps you updated about all zero-day vulnerabilities in your environment. Adding to its expansive feature set, PingSafe performs agentless scanning of VM snapshots for vulnerabilities, providing a complete report of your software bill of materials (SBOM).
- Offensive Security Engine: This unique feature replicates the mindset of an attacker, simulating zero-day attacks harmlessly for extensive security coverage. This proactive approach has helped businesses reduce dependency on external security researchers and bug bounty programs. Moreover, it offers a graph-based visualization of detected misconfigurations, highlighting potential lateral movement paths and impact radius.
- Cloud Credential Leakage: PingSafe ensures real-time detection of cloud credential leakage, such as IAM keys, service accounts, etc., across any public repositories. It validates secrets to minimize false positives and allows for the verification of detected secrets as needed. It seamlessly integrates with Github, Gitlab, and Bitbucket Cloud, allowing users to define policies that block commits and pull requests containing secrets.
- Cloud Detection and Response (CDR): PingSafe enables the detection and investigation of AWS CloudTrail and GCP Audit Logs for potential misconfigurations and threats. It allows customers to write custom policies for detecting misconfigurations and enforcing security policies. Additionally, its event analyzer capability allows customers to query, search, and filter events as required for investigation.
- Comprehensive security coverage with unique features such as Offensive Security Engine and Cloud Detection and Response.
- Real-time detection of vulnerabilities and cloud credential leakage.
- Easy integration with popular platforms like Github, Gitlab, and Bitbucket Cloud.
- It might be complex to navigate for beginners due to its extensive features.
Pricing: PingSafe operates on a simple pricing model, allowing businesses to choose a plan that fits their unique requirements and budget. Book a demo to learn more.
With PingSafe’s autonomous security and comprehensive features, businesses can enjoy peace of mind knowing their cloud-native applications and infrastructures are well protected.
CloudGuard is a prominent CNAPP tool offering comprehensive security for the virtual network, cloud, and SDN environments. Their solutions provide threat prevention and sophisticated security management.
- Advanced threat prevention
- Seamless integration with popular cloud providers
- Strong network security
- Broad cloud provider compatibility
- The interface can be difficult for beginners
- Limited customization options
Pricing: Available after the demo.
Twistlock (now Prisma Cloud) by Palo Alto Networks is among the noteworthy CNAPP vendors that offer a comprehensive cloud-native security platform, protecting applications across the development lifecycle.
- Full lifecycle protection
- Detailed vulnerability management
- Wide-ranging protection capabilities
- Efficient vulnerability management
- Requires technical knowledge for efficient use
- Pricing may be high for smaller businesses
Pricing: Twistlock operates on a tiered pricing model, details of which can be obtained from the vendor.
#4. Aqua Security
Aqua Security is among the esteemed CNAPP vendors offering security for cloud-native, containerized, and serverless applications across the entire application lifecycle.
- Runtime protection
- Compliance assurance
- Wide cloud-native security coverage
- Robust compliance features
- The high learning curve for non-technical users
- Advanced features come at a higher cost
Pricing: Aqua Security provides 3 plans: Dev, Cloud & Platform Security & pricing for all of them is available after the trial.
Sysdig offers a unified platform with container security, monitoring, and forensics in a microservices-friendly architecture.
- Deep container visibility
- Adaptive security policies
- A unified platform for multiple needs
- Highly customizable security policies
- It can be complex to navigate for beginners.
- Some features require additional cost.
Pricing: Sysdig provides a free trial with any credit card. More detailed pricing models are available upon request.
Ermetic is another amazing contender in the list of CNAPP vendors that operates like a skilled detective, revealing and prioritizing security gaps in AWS, Azure, and GCP. They encourage organizations to secure these gaps immediately.
- Asset discovery: Unearths every hidden detail of your cloud assets.
- Deep risk analysis: Scrutinizes your cloud security like a hawk.
- Runtime threat detection: Constantly monitor your cloud operations to detect potential threats.
- Compliance reporting: Keeps your cloud operations within legal boundaries.
- Brings together asset discovery, risk analysis, threat detection, and compliance reporting.
- Clear visualization and step-by-step guidance make it user-friendly.
- Driven by experienced technology entrepreneurs, promising a reliable service.
- The platform’s features may require some time to familiarize and use effectively.
Pricing: The pricing details for Ermetic are provided upon request.
Imagine an umbrella that covers you end-to-end from the rains of security threats. Lacework does that with its security and compliance measures for the cloud. It offers automated threat detection, compliance, and management for various environments.
- Keeps an eagle eye for threat detection and compliance
- Offers a helping hand for multi-cloud security management
- Comprehensive threat detection, leaving no stone unturned
- Versatile enough to support multi-cloud environments
- Beginners might find the interface a bit of a maze
- Certain advanced features might demand shelling out more bucks
Pricing: Lacework’s subscription-based pricing model is adaptable to your business requirements. You can request pricing details just by adding your name & work email.
If you’re sailing in the Kubernetes platform, Tigera might be your reliable CNAPP vendor. It offers zero-trust network security and continuous compliance, ensuring your microservices and containers are safe and sound.
- Provides robust zero-trust network security
- Keeps an eye on compliance round-the-clock
- Excels in network security for Kubernetes
- Offers a solid compliance feature set
- Mainly focuses on Kubernetes, might not cover other platforms extensively
- You might need decent technical know-how to navigate its features
Pricing: Tigera has a pay-as-you-go pricing model tailored to your business needs.
#9. Orca Security
Orca Security is like your personal guard in the world of cloud security. Their unique SideScanning technology offers full-stack visibility, helping you identify risks and vulnerabilities without hitting the brakes on your operations.
- Offers full-stack visibility using its unique SideScanning tech
- Detects vulnerabilities at the IaaS layer
- Can identify sensitive data (PII)
- There is no need for agent installation, resulting in a hassle-free setup
- Digs deep into the IaaS layer for risk detection
- Can easily scale across large cloud infrastructures
- Its scope is limited to cloud infrastructure, not covering application-level insights.
- It may not offer detailed vulnerability management like certain specialized tools.
Pricing: Orca Security has a custom pricing model based on the specifics of your cloud setup.
Wiz is another among the notable CNAPP vendors offering a fresh perspective to cloud security, boasting an agentless, graph-based CNAPP that promises comprehensive visibility, effective risk prioritization, and collaboration across teams. It aims to optimize cloud security from the building phase to runtime, bridging the gap between security and development teams.
- Comprehensive Scanning: Wiz uses unique technology to thoroughly scan all resources in the cloud environment, including PaaS resources, VMs, Containers, Serverless Functions, Public buckets, Data Volumes, and Databases.
- Prioritized Risk Management: Wiz’s Security Graph helps prioritize the most significant risks by providing actionable context. It effectively uncovers the combinations that might create attack paths in your cloud, streamlining the risk management process.
- Cross-Team Collaboration: Wiz supports an efficient workflow between development and security teams, encouraging proactive issue resolution and rapid remediation of misconfigurations or policy violations.
- Agentless Deployment: This means you can connect and scale without the overhead and complexities of managing agents.
- Unified Platform: Wiz offers a single platform with a uniform data layer and policy framework to normalize data across various clouds and architectures, ensuring consistency and efficiency.
- Cost and Complexity Reduction: Wiz can replace multiple point solutions in your security stack, reducing complexity and costs while improving the overall security posture.
- Complex User Interface: Some users may find the depth of the features overwhelming, leading to a steeper learning curve.
Pricing: Wiz operates on a custom pricing model. For the most accurate information, contacting them directly or requesting a quote through their website is advisable.
How to Choose the Best CNAPP Vendor?
Selecting a CNAPP vendor isn’t as simple as throwing a dart on a board. It requires thoughtful consideration and analysis, akin to the rigorous planning of developing a cloud-native application. Here’s a guide to help you make an informed decision:
- Visibility: Your CNAPP vendors should illuminate all corners of your cloud environment. This means the CNAPP vendor you choose should be able to peek into every nook and cranny of your cloud stack. For instance, PingSafe offers comprehensive visibility, ensuring no stone is left unturned in your pursuit of cloud security.
- Ease of Deployment and Scalability: Think about CNAPP vendors like plug-and-play devices. It should seamlessly integrate with your existing architecture without the hassle of managing agents. This eases deployment and ensures that as your cloud environment grows, your CNAPP vendor grows with it.
- Prioritization: The world of cloud security can sometimes feel like an endless sea of alerts. Need CNAPP vendors to sift through this sea and identify the most crucial threats. This feature ensures that your attention is always focused on areas that demand immediate action. A vendor like PingSafe can offer this intelligence-driven approach.
- Integration Capability: A CNAPP tool should play well with others. This means it should be capable of integrating with various cloud service providers, such as AWS, GCP, and Azure. The wider the compatibility, the smoother your operations.
- User Experience: CNAPP vendors that are difficult to use are like a puzzle with missing pieces – frustrating and counterproductive. Therefore, look for CNAPP vendors that offer a platform that is easy to navigate and intuitive.
- Support: Lastly, consider the support system that the CNAPP vendor provides. Do they offer prompt responses and effective solutions when you’re in a fix? Strong customer support can make your journey a lot smoother.
As your organization navigates through the complex waters of cloud-native applications, the right CNAPP Vendors can serve as your compass, ensuring the security and integrity of your data and services. To achieve this, the chosen vendor should meet your visibility, deployment ease, risk prioritization, integration, user experience, and customer support needs.
For instance, PingSafe. It ticks all the boxes of a top-notch CNAPP tool, providing an advanced, user-friendly platform that can scale your business. So, don’t wait until a security crisis knocks on your door. Get ahead of the game with PingSafe today and secure your cloud-native applications as best as possible. Connect with PingSafe now!